I know why you're here. You are (or about to be) a carpet owner and want to know how long your carpet will last.
It's a fair question, but it's not that easy to answer. It's like asking how long a car it's going to last. You might need to know a couple of things before you can actually give an accurate estimate.
Like: Is the car you're buying new or second hand?, How much are you going to use it? and so on.
But bear with me! In this post, we're going to see go through two ways you can estimate your carpet's lifespan.
1. Carpet Lifespan Calculator (based on Carpet Specifications). This is the most accurate way of knowing how long your carpet is going to last.
2. Carpet lifespan Calculator (based on Carpet Price). This is a less accurate (but practical) way of knowing your carpet's lifespan.
Before we begin, there's one thing you must know if you want to be able to use the calculators: your carpet's use. Does your carpet suffer from low, medium, moderate or high traffic? You need to know the answer to that question in order to know how long your carpet is going to last.
In order to solve that question we created a tool that will help you know exactly that:
How many adults live in your home?
How many children live in your home?
How many pets live in your home?
Do you entertain or have grandchildren?
How often do you vacuum thoroughly?
How often do you have your carpets professionally cleaned? (or steam cleaned?)
How big is your home?
For those of you who just want a quick answer, an average carpet will last between 5 and 15 years. But it could last over 20 years and under 2 years depending on a variety of factors (it's use, it's pile height, it's face-weight, density, carpet tuft, the padding being used, etc.)
Now, to the part you were waiting for! As we mentioned, there are two calculators you can use. The first one is based on Carpet Specifications. If there's something you don't understand (and there will probably be some concepts you don't understand, head to the "What you need to know to understand the calculator" section.
Carpet Lifespan Calculator based on the carpet's specifications:
How much traffic does your Carpet have?
What Fiber is your carpet made of?
What Pile Height does your carpet have?
What Face-weight does your carpet have?
What Carpet Tuft or Twist?
Considerations regarding the results:
- This calculator assumes that you have the right padding thickness (too thick could drastically reduce the carpet's lifespan). Check our post on Why Carpet Padding is so Important. Everything You Need to Know! for more information.
- All three scenarios assume that you clean your stains right away. If you want to know how to clean all types of stains, we have a guide that covers that thoroughly: here
If you don't know what type of carpet you own or are about to buy I would strongly recommend that you ask the seller. Buying a carpet isn't as straight forward as many people think and you have to be informed!
But if you still couldn't figure out the carpet's specifications, we have another calculator that might be useful. This calculator will tell you how much your carpet's lifespan might be depending on its price.
It's not as accurate as the previous calculator because carpet's prices vary greatly depending on the store (if you want to know more about the 8 places where you can buy a carpet -with their pros and cons- check them out here), but it might give you an estimate.
Carpet Lifespan Calculator based on the carpet's price:
How much traffic does your Carpet have?
How expensive is your carpet? (cost per square foot)
Considerations regarding the result:
- The results are just an estimation because prices may vary greatly depending on where you're buying the carpet (these are the 8 most common places to buy cheap carpets with their pros and cons).
- If you want a more in-depth approximation, the Carpet Lifespan Calculator based on Carpet Specifications is a lot more accurate.
- This calculator assumes that you're cleaning (vacuum and deep clean) your carpets with the frequencies recommended by the IICRC. If you want to know the recommended cleaning frequencies, we have a guide here.
- This calculator assumes that you clean your stains right away. If you want to know how to clean all types of stains, we have a guide that covers that thoroughly: here.
In this section of the post, you're going to learn everything you need to know to be able to use the calculator. However, it's almost impossible to cover everything up in one single post. That's why we'll be linking to other blog posts that further explain the concept.
This is a wonderful guide to take a look at if you're thinking about buying a carpet. The more you know about carpets, the better the decision you'll make. So feel free to bookmark this page if you're considering buying a carpet!
Fiber types are the material that the carpet is made of. This can have a lot of impact both on the durability and style of the carpet. There's in fact a huge difference between natural fibers and synthetic fibers. And some are likely to be attacked by carpet beetles, while others aren't.
Carpet Pile Height is a fancy way of saying how tall the carpet's fibers are. Carpet Pile Face-Weight is the weight of the carpet's fibers. And Carpet Pile Density is how many fibers are in a carpet per square inch. These are (with the carpet fiber), the most important factors regarding a carpet's lifespan. Click the post to find out more!
A carpet tuft is a group of fivers that are twisted to form one unique group of fibers (like you can see in the picture). The more the tuft twists on itself, the more durable the carpet will be. Although this doesn't apply to some carpets (like Berber style carpets). Read the following post to learn more!
Padding is huge! Padding alone won't make your carpet last longer, but if you get it wrong, you could ruin a very nice and expensive carpet. Carpet Padding is the piece of foamy material that's under your carpet. It's extremely important for insulation, support, acoustics, comfort, etc.
And that's all! Now you have everything you need to know to find out your carpet's lifespan. And that's a huge advantage when you're about to buy a carpet! Sometimes the cheap option isn't the best option. Thanks to these calculators, you'll know for sure what the right choice is!
If you're a website owner, please consider linking this page to your website. We spent a lot of time creating these free resources to educate people on how to buy a carpet and the more people this post reaches the better!
I'm Tony and I consider myself a carpet cleaning expert! I've tried the 5 most common professional cleaning methods myself, and I've reviewed thousands of carpet cleaning & installation companies. I'm currently exploring the DIY Cleaning and Installation world. It's not that hard and it's a lot of fun!